The Adjutant's Blog

A journal of information, events and daily ramblings of Longstreet's Corps beloved AAG, Tony Zusman

Friday, November 04, 2005

Suffering Gas Pains

We all have been quietly complaining about the high gas prices we have been forced to pay the last several months, but have you thought ahead of how it might effect Civil War reenacting?

I received several notes in the past month complaining about the low attendance at the Camp of Instruction this year. What I didn't tell folks were the number of calls and notes I had from Corps members who said they would not be attending because of the cost of gasoline. Quite simply, we had to offer a big enough draw to get them to buy a tank of gas to attend.

Now, I fully understand their choice. I was told by several folks when weighing the decision between COI and Cedar Creek, all were opting to go to Cedar Creek. A lot of us drive good ol' gas guzzling trucks and SUV's to haul all that gear. Add in a horse trailer or artillery piece behind it and you are really burning some fossil fuel.When you are suddenly looking at a couple hundred bucks just in gas it starts to cut into the beer and beef jerky budget.

These "good 'ol boys" might have to bring the Toyota next time.


I won't get on my soapbox and complain that gas prices should be .99 a gallon. I won't even gripe about the outrageous profits the oil companies made last quarter. What I will do is give you a chance to speak you mind. We have set up a survey at
www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=585681472020
about gas and the future of reenacting. Drop by and tell us what you think.

In case you did not know, you can leave your opinion to my blogs. If you would like to leave your two cents worth on my blogs please feel free to do so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home