The Adjutant's Blog

A journal of information, events and daily ramblings of Longstreet's Corps beloved AAG, Tony Zusman

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Updates and other news...Today we update you on some of our past stories and cover a few new items.

BURNOUT: No I am not quitting reenacting. I was amazed at how many folks came up to me at Cedar Creek saying they heard I was leaving reenacting. Nope, not leaving, I was just a little down.

Cedar Creek helped re-energize me in the hobby and seeing all my friends helped me to remember the best part of reenacting.

The Great Cap Crisis: I heard a lot of shooting going on at Cedar Creek (during my nap Saturday) so I assume everyone stormed the sutlers and bought all the good caps. Perhaps a lesson is in order here, stocking up on things like powder and caps is not a bad idea. Many may remember a few years back when we had a powder shortage. Sources are out there for units to buy these items in bulk. A purchase of a keg of powder and caps not only comes out cheaper in the long run but insures the availablility to your troops.

Lee/Jackson Monument Guard: Self proclaimed "Low Private" Ralph Cruise sends us word for the 23rd Annual Monument Guard on January 13, 2007. Remember that this year marks the 200th Anniversary of Lee's birth.

This is a small event but a most interesting activity. Soldiers will stand guard at the Lee and Jackson Monuments in Richmond for 90 minutes. I always liked the first shift when it started at 7:00am and you could watch the sunrise up Monument Avenue. This year the activities start at 8:00am and run until 3:30pm. Coffee and hardtack will be served to the troops.

If you did not receive information please contact Ralph at phasmid49@yahoo.com

The House: We have been in for one year now. Renovation this year was pretty much spent on fixing the serious problems like the leaky roof and the leaky basement. I got a quote on insulating the walls, $2500, and painting the metal roof, $2500 (I am starting to see a pattern here). Result, We are painting the roof ourselves and there is more plastic wrapping the house this year.
I have been amazed that most of our major problems were simple fixes. The leaky roof was repaired and painted for about $150 and four weekends of work. The leaky basement was due to a basement window that was open about an inch. Cost to repair $0.
Training Camp: I could not get the time off to go to training camp so Private Pete went alone. I heard something about my being a jinx on the Colts record last year so perhaps with my not being there they will win this year. Meanwhile I did sneak off to Ravens camp and look how good they are doing. GO RAVENS!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home